Commercialisation of Technologies/Consultancies Services
Available Technologies for Agribusiness Development
Over the years, National Food Technology Research Centre (NFTRC) developed plant and animal-derived prototypes to facilitate business development in food processing in Botswana. These products are intended for both small and large-scale manufacturing.
Through these NFTRC avails opportunities for economic diversification, employment creation, reduction in processed foods imports, export promotion and poverty eradication.
Some of the food categories are: veldt products, dairy products, fruits and vegetables products, meat products, cereals, pulses and root crop products.
The centre also provides services in setting up food packaging facilities for clients who intend to procure from local producers or import in bulk.
Clients can engage the Centre to custom-size processing facilities to suit their specifications, as well as optimise processes parameters (product formulations and process factors) to attain market competitiveness.
The following is a list of products and processes that clients can be assisted with to engage in agribusiness:
NFTRC offers you technologies for processing beef, pork, donkey meat, poultry and game meat into different products such as:
- Canned seswaa
- Canned serobe
- Canned mokoto
- Canned beef stew
- Canned chicken
- Boerewors sausage
- Polony sausage
- Vienna sausage
- Russian sausage
- Smoked meat
- Fish Filets
- Canned catfish
NFTRC has also developed technologies to enable commercialisation of beverages and condiments in Botswana.
- Bottled water
- Soya Milk/Soymilk
- Ginger beer (gemere)
- Lerotse drink
- Peri-peri sauce
- Meat marinade
NFTRC has developed dairy technologies that are highly feasible for agribusiness development in the country. These include:
- Yoghurts (variety; incl. soy yoghurt, which is a non-dairy type)
- Omaze uozongombe
- Queso blanco
- Feta cheese
- Skimmed milk
- Pasteurised milk
Fruits and Vegetables Products
- Legapu (watermelon) jam, Legapu fruit syrup, watermelon drink, watermelon juice blends,
- Lerotse (cooking melon) jam, Lerotse fruit syrup, lerotse melon drink, lerotse and lemon marmalade, lerotse & legapu mixed fruit syrup, Sesoswane oil, lengangale, kgodu-ya-lerotse
- Lemon curd
- Peaches in syrup
- Mixed vegetable pickle (atchar),
- Dried morogo-wa-dinawa
- Dried morogo-wa-dinawa with melon pulp
- Jarred morogo-wa-dinawa and tomato mix
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Frozen potato chips/fries
- Tomato sauce , Tomato paste , dried tomatoes,Tomato juice, tomato purée , tomato salsa/tomato-&-vegetable stew
- Dried cabbage
- Dried onions
- Dried carrots
- Bean-leaf dobi
- Spinach dobi
- Setapatapa ( roasted & ground watermelon-seed soup)
Cereals, Oil Seeds, Pulses and Rootcrops
- Dried ting
- Extruded sorghum and maize snacks
- Instant porridges
- Sorghum mageu
- Plain sorghum flour
- Fine sorghum flour for baking
- Sorghum-lerotse flour
- .Sorghum muffin
- Sorghum snack bar
- Sorghum biscuit
- Peanut butter
- Vegetable oil
- Sweet potato dehydrated mash
- Sweet potato flour
- Sweet potato jam
- Sweet potato weaning food
- Sweet potato pudding
- Roasted bean snack
- Dried bean soup/
- Minestrone soup powder
- Cereal-, legume & vegetable Soup powder
- Spleen & mixed vegetable soup powder
- Canned dikgobe (maize-based) – dried wholegrain maize or letshotlho + cowpeas
- Canned dikgobe (sorghum-based) – sorghum + cowpeas
- Canned roasted meat and dikgobe (sorghum + cowpeas)
- Canned beans in brine
NFTRC has demonstrated the huge potential that exists in processing natural products harvested in the wild into novel products. Although value chains for these products are still to be developed, the products can be commercially processed at cottage level to develop their markets and stimulate extensive development of their value chains. Specific products developed to date include;
Mmilo fruit squares, Mmilo fruit stew, Mmilo in syrup, Mmilo smoothie.
Moretlwa fruit leather, Moretlwa dairy blend, Mogwana dairy blend.
Dried truffles (mahupu), Vacuum-packed truffles, Truffle stir-fry, Truffle oil.
Morama roasted nuts, Morama butter, Morama oil, Morama milk, Morama yoghurt, Morama biscuit/cookie, Morama granola bar.
Morula toffees, Morula jam, Morula drink, Morula pulp.
Mosata/ mashezha pickle.
Dried phane, Phane and mixed vegetable dried soup mix, Canned phane in brine, Phane, onion and tomato mix.
Mowana/baobab smoothie, Mowana dairy blend, Mowana fruit pulp powder.
- Delele – blanched & dried.
- Motsentsela snack bar.
- Mongongo oil.
- Bogobe ja mokolwane (Typhaene petersiana fruit pulp cooked in milk).
- Tswii in seswaa.
- Thepe (blanched & dried).
- Rothwe (blanched & dried).
- Dikgose/mokgose coffee.
- Mosukujane iced tea.
- Motlopi iced coffee.