RE – ADVERTISEMENT
VACANCY No: DRD 2018/ 03 PRINCIPAL RESEARCH SCIENTIST (EXTENSIION AND TRAINING) – 3 YEAR FIXED TERM CONTRACT
Main purpose of the Job
As the substantive Head of Department for Extension and Training, the Principal will lead the Centre’s external Education and Training Program; coordinate development and delivery of educational, community outreach, technology transfer and skills transfer programs; initiate, plan, organise and lead the implementation of research and development projects in Extension and training; prepare project reports and publications; coordinate resource utilization and supervise the work of several project teams; participate in commercialisation activities in line with the mandate of the department and the Centre’s overall objectives; provide mentoring and plan staff development and training within the department; and contribute to the development of beneficial research collaborations.
Key Performance Areas
- Coordination of the Centre’s Education and Training Program
- Coordination and supervision of research teams
- Capacity building and mentoring of researchers
- Preparation and management of departmental budgets.
- Initiation and implementation of research and development programs and projects
- Development of products, technologies and services.
- Effective provision of departmental services
- Transfer and commercialisation of research outputs
- Dissemination and publication of research findings
- Compliance with regulations, policies, procedures, standards and ethics
- Negotiation of partnerships for specific projects
- Representing the Centre in various technical committees in the area of expertise
- Customer Service
- Effective Communication
Education: PhD in Technical Education with specializations in Educational management, curriculum development, technology transfer or skills development.
Experience: At least five (5) years post qualification experience with a record of involvement in educational research and curriculum development; or applied research relevant to technical training, technology transfer or skills transfer. A minimum of two years in a supervisory role is essential.
In addition the position requires good interpersonal and communication skills, and a record of achievement in research and development. A strong knowledge of statistical and project management techniques is desirable. Evidence of professional networking, such as membership of a recognized professional association is essential.
- Project Management
- Team leadership
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Assertive, decisive, influential and results focused
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Applications including detailed curriculum vitae, statement of research interests and goals, certified copies of educational certificates, and details of three (3) contactable referees should be addressed to:
Private Bag 008
Note: NFTRC will only enter into correspondence with short-listed candidates. This is a re advertisement, previous applicants should not re – apply.
Closing date: 8th June 2018