Commercialisation of Technologies/Consultancies Services
Available Technologies for Agribusiness Development
Over the years, National Food Technology Research Centre (NFTRC) developed plant and animal-derived prototypes to facilitate business development in food processing in Botswana. These products are intended for both small and large-scale manufacturing.
Through these NFTRC avails opportunities for economic diversification, employment creation, reduction in processed foods imports, export promotion and poverty eradication.
Some of the food categories are: veldt products, dairy products, fruits and vegetables products, meat products, cereals, pulses and root crop products.
The centre also provides services in setting up food packaging facilities for clients who intend to procure from local producers or import in bulk.
Clients can engage the Centre to custom-size processing facilities to suit their specifications, as well as optimise processes parameters (product formulations and process factors) to attain market competitiveness.
The following is a list of products and processes that clients can be assisted with to engage in agribusiness:
NFTRC offers you technologies for processing beef, pork, donkey meat, poultry and game meat into different products such as:
- Smoked meat
NFTRC has also developed technologies to commercialise Botswana indigenous meat dishes:
Botswana Indigenous Meat
- Canned seswaa
- Canned serobe
NFTRC has developed dairy technologies that are highly feasible for agribusiness development in the country. These include:
- Sour Milk (Madila), both indigenous process and culture-specific process
- Drinking Yoghurt (flavoured)
- Feta cheese
Fruits and Vegetables Products
- Legapu (watermelon) jam, and drink, Watermelon juice blends
- Lerotse (cooking melon) jam, kgodu ya lerotse and lemon marmalade
- Lemon curd
- Peaches in syrup
- Mixed Vegetable pickle
- Tomato products: tomato paste, dried tomatoes, tomato juice, purée, tomato salsa/tomato-vegetable stew
Cereals, Oil Seeds, Pulses and Rootcrops
- Extruded sorghum and maize snacks
- Instant porridges
- Composite sorghum/wheat flours for muffins and indigenous breads
- Dried ting
- Vegetable Oil (Sunflower oil and Morama)
- Sweet potato dehydrated mash, sweet potato flour and sweet potato jam
NFTRC has demonstrated the huge potential that exists in processing natural products harvested in the wild into novel products. Although value chains for these products are still to be developed, the products can be commercially processed at cottage level to develop their markets and stimulate extensive development of their value chains. Specific products developed to date include;
- Vangueria infuesta (Mmilo) fruit squares
- Vangueria infuesta (Mmilo) fruit stew
- Vangueria infuesta (Mmilo) in syrup
- Morama oil
- Morama milk
- Morama cookies
- Morula toffees
- Morula jam
- Morula juice
- Mogorogorwane (monkey orange) juice
- Mogorogorwane fruit rolls
- Phane and vegetable soup mix,
- Phane, onion and tomatoes mix: Contains high protein content.